Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, November 16, 2017

A Fun Tip for Suggesting Detail in a Painting


'Autumn Glory'         pastel     2.5 x 3.5    ©Karen Margulis
available $25 email for details
 It is one of hardest thing to do for some of us. Getting away from the tendency to put in every detail in a paining. I hear it often.....'How can I learn to SUGGEST detail"  "I don't want to paint every leaf on the tree!" The first step it awareness. If you know you have a tendency towards putting in too much detail and information in a painting that's a start!  There are many things you can do to move away from detail and into the area of suggestion. I'll share a fun idea in today's post.

Paint something tiny!

Last week I focused my blog posts on painting mini pastels....paintings that are 2.5x3.5 inches. I have heard from some of you that you love minis and some of you have been trying them. I hope to convince more of you on the value of making minis a part of your painting practice.

All set up and ready to paint (and make a video)
While it is true that you can paint detail in a small format it can help you move to more suggestion if you let it.

  • Don't use pastel pencils or even too many hard thin pastels. They are easy for detail which you want to avoid!
  • Use your big pastels for larger marks. I use both full size pastels as well as smaller leftover bits. (see my Box of Bits in the photo)
  • Practice making marks on small paper. The more you do the easier it will be to manipulate a pastel in a small space.
  • Start the painting with big simple shapes. Then decide where you will add a touch of detail.
  • Add a few spots of detail....not everywhere!!! The eye will fill in the rest.

Display your minis in frames or use tiny easels
Have fun painting minis!  If you are a patron of my Patreon page I just posted a new video all about painting minis. I paint the mini shown below in the video. See the video here www.patreon.com/karenmargulis

'For the Love of Texas'        2.5 x 3.5     pastel  
available $25 email for details

1 comment:

KAS said...

I love this idea and will definitely try it!