Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, September 16, 2017

I Need Your Questions About Uart Dark!


'Light in the Forest'         6x8        pastel         ©Karen Margulis
available $95
You all have the best questions! I'd love for you to chime in and ask questions about a new product. I just got some of the new Uart Dark and I have been playing with it. I am working on  putting it to the test and writing a review. I would love to know what questions you have about this new sanded surface.  

In case you haven't heard, Uart has a new sanded paper called Uart Dark. It comes in four grades 400,500, 600 and 800. The lower grades 400 and 500 are darkest and are called black. The 600 and 800 are slightly lighter and are called dark charcoal and charcoal. 

If you have questions about this new dark paper let me know either in the comments or by sending an email to karenmargulis@gmail.com  I will answer in my blog. Your questions will also help me with my video review. Thank you in advance.  

Below is a quick 6x8 study done on Uart 500 Black.

Drawing the big shapes with a Nupastel

Blocking in the dark trees

Blocking in the big sections of aspen foliage....dark and dull to begin

Adding the light tree trunks....they really pop on the black paper!

Putting in the sky

Adding more color to the tree trunks and adding more color to the foliage

Refining the foreground

Asking brighter yellows to the foliage and adding some detail
Also adding a brighter blue to the sky.

Finished!

3 comments:

Verna Puglisi said...

Definitely a dramatic painting. I would like to see you paint the same scene on light paper. I suspect the black influenced your intuitive process and your response to a different surface will be different.

Maria said...

I prefer papers with a darker color. To me, they make the colors pop more, especially the highlights.

Unknown said...

I agree! I think I like the darker backgrounds. Seem to make the lights pop! Love this!