|'Desert Dancers' 9x12 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
I am loaded down for this trip! Since I am presenting two demos/seminars at IAPS this week I have to bring lots of goodies! I already shipped two boxes and I have 2 suitcases full of stuff. It's going to take me awhile to unpack and organize everything but it will be worth it. I am excited for the opportunity to share with my pastel friends at the convention!
But all of this stuff means that I had to limit my own personal art supplies for the trip. Sometimes we just don't have room for a big box of pastels when we travel. It is a challenge. Travel inspires and I always want to be ready to act on inspiration. That's where a sketchbook kit comes in handy!
|The sketchbook kit I am taking to the convention|
I have even managed to pare down my usual sketchbook kit. I have a small zippered pouch to hold the supplies. This pouch fits easily into my purse of backpack. Inside I am taking the following:
- Small sketchbook. I love these sketchbooks by Handbook. They take a wet wash without buckling and they are not too expensive.
- A Sketch n Wash pencil by General. I like this pencil because it is water soluble which allows for nice graphite washes. Great for doing value sketches.
- A pencil sharpener with a cover. I am using a makeup pencil sharpener which is actually great of sharpening pastels. I got this one at the Dollar Tree.
- A travel watercolor brush by DaVinci. I love this brush because it is a quality brush and it stays in great condition because the brush stores inside the handle. It isn't cheap but it is well worth it.
- Another Water Pen/Brush to use for the graphite washes. This brush pen stores water in its barrel.
- A Uniball black Vision ink pen. I love this pen because the ink is waterproof so it is great to use with watercolor or for ink sketches.
- A very very compact watercolor set. I LOVE this little set that is the size of a business card. In fact it is a metal business card holder. It comes with empty pans so you can fill with your favorite watercolors.
These carefully selected supplies will allow me to create a variety of sketches from pencil, to pen and ink to watercolor. All in a very compact and easy to pack pouch. There is now no excuse not to create on the go!
I am headed to Albuquerque New Mexico today for the IAPS convention. I will do my best to blog from the convention and give you a day by day report....as long as technology cooperates!