Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, January 31, 2016

From Small to Large....Painting Big Pastels

Study for Summer Song      6x8       pastel      ©Karen Margulis
available $95
Today was wrap up day. The month of January has been a whirlwind of painting and emailing and working out details of my big projects. I finished on time and all the paintings have been approved. So between varnishing acrylics and wrapping up pastels I am taking a break to share the results of the big pastel paintings.  I posted photos and answered questions at the beginning of the project. You can read about it here: http://www.kemstudios.blogspot.com/2016/01/large-pastels-paintingsyour-questions.html

Below is a photo of the results. It is a good thing I organized my studio in December. I had room to work on all four 30 x 40 paintings at one time. In the end the client was pleased with the paintings. I had to make some small adjustments to the foreground details and I was ready to get them wrapped and shipped. I will share that process in another post. 

Making use of all of the easels!


'Under a Summer Sky'       30 x 40       pastel 

'Another Beautiful Day'      30 x 40     pastel

'Marsh Music'       30 x 40       pastel

'Summer Song'      30 x 40   pastel

Below are the 6x8 studies for the larger pieces. They were helpful in creating the larger paintings. I found myself working from the studies and not the reference photos. It was an interesting process to size up from 6x8 to 30x40. It is easy for one mark to suggest a clump of grass in a small painting but it doesn't quite translate to 30x40! I hope you enjoyed this peek at the finished paintings! It was an exciting project!






 Don't forget that my 30 in 30 oil paintings are on auction at Daily Paintworks. Opening bids start at $30! Click here to see and bid on them.

1 comment:

robertsloan2art said...

Wow! This is an incredible project. I love those little studies you did for the big paintings. It makes sense to work more from the study than a reference photo. You have some gorgeous big-painting techniques too! Beautiful all massed together like that too.