Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, July 24, 2015

How to Practice Art and the Art of Relaxation


'Caribbean Blues'             8x10            pastel             ©Karen Margulis
available $125

 "Do today what you plan to do tomorrow"  This was the sage advice given to my husband Michael and me while on our honeymoon. I've taken that advice to heart and live life to the fullest.But there  is something that I have been thinking about for awhile yet not acted on..... planning an Art Cruise where I could combine a painting workshop with a relaxing cruise to beautiful Caribbean Islands.
I've decided to make the Art Cruise dream a reality. I have booked the cruise and made the plans. I have selected a great itinerary to some of my favorite, most paintable islands. We will set sail on an 8 night cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Breeze out of Miami Florida. The timing is perfect to escape the winter chill.....February 27 - March 6, 2016.


What is special about an Art Cruise?
  • Visit four wonderful islands in the Eastern Caribbean. This itinerary includes some of my favorite ports of call: St. Thomas USVI, St. Maarten NA, Antigua and Amber Cove, Dominican Republic. This itinerary also has three sea days. 
  • Learn the practice of 'Plein Air Lite'... how to simplify our supplies and painting process. We will learn how to paint with less and experience more.
  • Discover the art of the sketchbook. The ship and the islands provide perfect material for our travel sketch journals. We will keep a multimedia sketch journal in this workshop cruise.
  • Explore the ports of call with your camera on photo safaris. Discover how to get the best shots with any camera. Learn how to see better and make better use of your photos for painting references.
  • Discover the wonderful world of painting small and give 'Lounge Chair Painting' a try. Learn tips and tricks for keeping things simple.
  • Learn pastel painting techniques and tips for painting the tropical scenery through my demonstrations, instruction and hands-on help. Clouds, skies, water, sand, tropical flora, colorful buildings and adding figures to a landscape will all be covered.
  • Meet new friends who share the same Art Spirit as you. Share your passion with other like minded artists.
  • Slow down. Relax. Spoil yourself. Let the warm sunshine and gentle tropical breezes release the paintings that are waiting to come out!


The Details

What: Cruise and workshop on the Carnival Breeze leaving from Miami, Florida

When: February 27 - March 6, 2016  (Saturday - Sunday)

Cost: Workshop fee is $350 and includes instruction, demonstrations, hands-on help, one painting shore excursion. 

Cruise fare: Inside cabins start out at $817.90 per person double occupancy total cost with all taxes and fees.
Outside cabins start out at $957.90 per person total cost with all taxes and fees.
balcony cabins start out at $1267.90 per person total cost with all taxes and fees.

Not included: Transportation to and from Miami. Transfer to and from ship from airport, gratuities for ship crew, optional shore excursions and incidentals.

How:  Workshop fee is payable to me by check or Paypal. $100 deposit will secure your spot. 
           Cruise cabin reservations are made with my travel agent Dick Gothner of Skyscraper Tours. 
           I have worked with Dick for over 10 years and he is the best! He will work with you to make
           sure you get the cabin that best suits your needs.

**Non artist friends/spouses are welcome to join for no workshop fee**

          Contact me for more information or to register karenmargulis@gmail.com       



If you've been following my blog then you know I love cruising and painting while cruising. I've been on 25 cruises to date! It is one of my favorite way to vacation.  A cruise is the perfect place to make art and practice the art of relaxation!

Read more details on my workshop blog! Click here

5 comments:

Marion said...

Just got back from a cruise to Alaska on the Crown Princess. It sounds really fun to cruise with you. The art has to be better than the abominations I saw in the on board gallery & art auction... Good luck!

Russell Ferris said...

I would love to join your art cruise but I will be dressed in 1800's garb painting in The Chautauqua Plein Air Paint Out in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. We are still looking for someone of your caliber to present a reasonably priced workshop at this event.

Russell R Ferris

robertsloan2art said...

Oh, if I was still working I'd sign up for this in a heartbeat! An ultimate vacation. I hope it goes great and you make it a regular thing!

Good luck on whale and dolphin spotting on the trip. Looking forward to your blogging it!

Anonymous said...

Karen, can you list the single supplement for someone travelingg alone, please.

Karen said...

For those interested in traveling solo: As far as I know the cruise lines don't make it easy for single travelers. The rate is usually double the regular rate. If you are interested in having a room mate I do have another artist interested in the cruise who would like a room mate. Let me know and I will give you her contact information. If you have a non artist friend who might like a cruise that is another option. There is no workshop fee for non artists.
If you'd like to contact the travel agent to check on the actual single rate his name is Dick Gothner and his email is dgoth0157@yahoo.com

Karen