Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, May 09, 2015

How I discovered the Missing Color

'Flowers for Mom'              5x7                pastel              ©Karen Margulis
painting available on Etsy $50
It wasn't very exciting. I tried to use the secret of green to make it more interesting. I did an orange underpainting and added a few purple flowers. It still felt dull to me. It needed to go back to the drawing board.

What could I do to make this little wildflower painting more exciting?  I considered putting more emphasis on the white wildflowers. They all had soft edges so they didn't stand out from the grasses. I could choose a few to clarify and make them stars.  What other options did I have?

Back to the drawing board
 What if I chose to downplay the white flowers. I recalled the wonderful fields of poppies and bluebonnets that I recently saw in Texas. Maybe it would be better to introduce some red poppies into my meadow. So I did.

Still missing something
Now I had red poppies and hints of white flowers. It was still missing something. Bluebonnets! Of course my Texas Spring landscape needed some bluebonnets.  I still didn't feel the painting was finished. I decided to emphasize a few of the poppies. That helped but it was still not there.

What did the painting need? I remembered that the meadows were also filled with tiny yellow flowers. That is the missing color....Yellow!

The missing color was yellow
I sprinkled a few yellow flowers and finally felt good about the painting. Why did the yellow flowers work? The yellow, red and blue created a triadic color scheme. Now my flowers felt balanced. This led to automatic color harmony. It just feels complete.

Have you enjoyed this post? Please feel free to share my blog with others who might enjoy it. Thanks!


1 comment:

robertsloan2art said...

That is striking! It's the first thing I saw looking at it - the primary triad in the flowers. Agree the yellow is absolutely necessary!