Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Have You Tried Pastelmat Sanded Pastel Paper?

'Room to Breathe'           10x10          pastel          ©Karen Margulis
click here to purchase $145
I am still packing. I came across a stash of Pastelmat paper and decided to pack some.  Yesterday's painting just so happened to be on Pastelmat and someone asked me if I ever wrote a review on the paper. I searched my blog and found 3 posts on Pastelmat.  I thought it would be a good idea to share them again. Below is the first post and here are the links to the others. Enjoy!
Six Reasons to try Pastelmat
Pastelmat Review

my drawing on a piece of black Pastelmat
I had a scrap piece of black pastelmat already attached to a board so I decided to use it for todays painting. It is fun to paint on black anyway. It seem to make colors so vibrant.  As soon as I touched pastel to paper I remembered just how unique this surface is. It is soft and velvety  and the pastels go on oh so smooth. I just feels nice. It is a pleasure to work on. I don't use Pan Pastels but I understand it is a perfect match for the pans. Here are some things I noticed:

  • The paper accepted both hard and soft pastel equally well. And as I said before, it feels good....the pastels just glide on.
  • I found I had more success when I made bold and direct strokes. The paper does take several layers but I found that the marks want to stay in place rather than be blended. (this is a good thing if you tend to over blend)
  • I was able to use fixative with success. I decided midway through the painting to change color scheme so after a little fixative I could add more pastel. However some spots got too slick from fixative and I could get pastel on top.
  • I didn't use a wet underpainting today but I do remember that while the paper takes a wet underpainting, the cellulose fibers seem to suck in the wet. You tend not to get the drips and blooms like you get with other papers.
PASTELMAT® is a premium card surface (360gsm / 170lb) specially developed for pastelists. Its unique velvety surface, made from a fine coating of cellulose fibers, has the ability to grab and hold multiple layers of even the softest pastels.
PASTELMAT® significantly reduces the need for fixative, which means that colors remain vibrant and fresh once applied. It has the added bonus of being gentle on both fingers and blending tools. It is acid free and lightfast.
PASTELMAT® is ideal for use with all dry media - pastel sticks, PanPastel, pencils and charcoal. It is also water resistant which means that it can be used with wet media – such as acrylics and watercolor for washes and mixed media techniques.
Overall I do like Pastelmat. I would like to get some more to see what else I can discover. Do you use Pastelmat? I welcome your thoughts!

Visit Pastelmat's website for more information and for a review by Richard McKinley.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I love Pastelmat, and yes it really is a wonderful match for PanPastels too.

robertsloan2art said...

Once again you're giving me good ideas! I love using PastelMat with Pan Pastels and hard pastels, or using them together. You're right though, it'd be just as good with the softer ones. I may have to give it a go with Ludwigs or Blue Earth or GA sometime.

I buy the pads of PastelMat because I work small, but also got some sheets a while back to cut down because I enjoy it so much. It's a paper I like to always keep stocked on. Love that black color - it's not really black but a glitter dark almost graphite color. Black shows up sharp and distinct against it, to the point that in nocturnes I can use black accents or silhouettes more effectively than any other surface.

It hints at being sprinkled with stars. Yet it's dark enough to give the vibrant "Color on black" stained glass brilliance. A perfect paper for so many things and that actually is my favorite color in it. All are useful but the White is good for Colourist intensity covering the whole surface, the black Anthracite for making light and bright colors pop letting a little of it show.

Donna Nesbitt said...

I asked my friend, Nancy Vance about doing a wet under painting on Pastel Mat. She referred me to your blog which had everything I needed to know. Thanks so much for all of the information you share. You really help a lot of people.